Saturday 4 April 2009

Herding Cats II - Attack of the Hairballs!


And it's here again! Last time I managed to read only 2, but they were among my favourite reads of the year, High Fidelity and Fingersmith. So if I can just equal that, I'd be happy. I'm expecting a mindboggingly long master list to choose from, but the most fun part is to choose the books to recommend. So here we go.

Here are the rules Herding Cats II (April 1st, 2009 - December 31st, 2009):

1. Make a list of five books you love. Directions:

  • Five. I'm as serious as a beached whale.
  • All titles must be books you've read in 2007, 2008 or 2009.
  • Please don't list a series; just the first book. If you really want to list a book in the middle of a series, you can, but it has to be that specific book.
  • Feel free to share why you're putting the book on your list, because I am nosy.

2. Post your list:

  • in your own journal, in the comments here, whatever is fine. Share the list here.
  • Lists should be public (no locked entries, no logging in to view).

3. Browse the new book list. Stay a while. Read a few (eta: if you want; not even reading is required this time around if you don't have time to commit to a new challenge but still want to share your favorites).

4. If you review your books, you can share the reviews. You know, if you want. No pressure. Definitely not.


Five Books I Love:

Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli My very first post! I don't think I've blabbed enough about it here. I thought it was wonderful. So read it.






Hellfire by Mia Gallagher So completely absorbing and mesmerising.






Gold by Dan Rhodes A gem of a book that every fan of Nick Hornby I think should read. And everyone else too.






War for the Oaks by Emma Bull Where urban fantasy began.






Finding Violet Park (for US readers: Me, the Missing and the Dead) by Jenny Valentine Among the best YA I've recently read.











Provisional List of Books I might read:

Life as We Knew it
Invention oh Hugo Cabret
Amulet of Samarkand
Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks
Shadow of the Wind
Embroideries
Tender Morsels
The Ice Queen

(still to be decided...)

6 comments:

Melody said...

Your list sounds good! I still haven't decide if I should join this challenge. So many challenges, so little time, LOL.

BTW, I've passed you an award! :)

mariel said...

Ooh! Good list. And I had completely forgotten to make a note of Hellfire, so that's going straight on my list to read for this challenge. Thanks! Enjoy.

Ana S. said...

Thank you for reminding me that I want to read Stargirl! Actually, I want to read all of those, and it's all your fault :P

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

Oh dear--I haven't read any of these! I'll definitely have to look them up, though. I loved High Fidelity and just added Fingersmith to my wishlist (thanks to Nymeth's recent review). This sounds like such a fun challenge.

Mercy's Maid said...

I love YA, so I might have to look for that last book you listed.

I really enjoyed Stargirl when I read it years ago, but I did not like the sequel called Love, Stargirl. Maybe I just wasn't in the mood?

Anyway, thanks for the recommendations.

valentina said...

Wow, thanks for the award Melody!
and by the way, I think you should join!

Mariel, yay for Hellfire! It's a strange but compelling read, hope you can adjust to the Dublin accent :P

Nymeth, you HAVE to read Stargirl!

Trish, yeah it's a great challenge.
How can you not love High Fidelity?:D

Mercy's Maid, you didn't like Love,Stargirl?I *really* liked it, although it was very different from the first. I still think about it often and remember little things about it which make me smile.
I think it was definitely the mood to blame! :P