Monday 31 March 2008

Picture Book Monday: "Posy" by Linda Newbery and Catherine Rayner



Welcome to Picture Book Monday! Last time I reviewed the Odd Egg on Monday so I thought I’d keep this day for picture books. I’m not sure I’d be able to find a good picture book every Monday but I’ll try and see how it goes.
This time I’m going to talk about Linda Newbery and Catherine Rayner’s new book Posy. As soon as I saw it I decided it had to belong to my collection. I know Linda Newbery from her young adult book Set in Stone but it was Catherine Rayner that made me grab it as soon as I put my eyes on it. She illustrated one of my favourite picture books last year, Augustus and his smile, and her dreamy use of watercolours and uplifting words won me over instantly. And now she did it again with Posy!
There is no story here, so I guess it’s aimed at toddlers, probably 1-3 year olds, because it relies its appeal on Rayner’ lovely illustrations and Newbery’s funny rhymes.

Posy!
She’s a whiskers wiper
Crayon swiper
Playful wrangler
Knitting tangler
Spider catcher
Sofa scratcher…


The words are matched by the drawings of Posy playing with a crayon, or messing up a knitting ball, sneakily checking a sandwich or inspecting socks on a washing line.
The idea is simple but clever. The colours are soft and the drawings have a sketch-like feel, which I love. My favourite page is the “sock inspector”!
Posy, with her little curious eyes, is an irresistible heart-stealer. She made me want to have a kitten so badly! Maybe one day..

4 comments:

Ana S. said...

Picture Book Monday is a fabulous idea! It's not often that I come across reviews of picture books. The cover of this one is lovely, and the fact that it's about a kitten makes it extra appealing!

(And you should totally get a kitten :P)

Jeane said...

The illustration on the cover of that book is so irresitable! I have to check out the book so I can see more.

valentina said...

thanks nymeth, I'll do my best to keep it up! I wish I could have a kitten but with my job I'd have to leave it most of the time alone, so it's not possible now:(

jeane, the illustrations are the best part, hope you can find it!

ikkinlala said...

This sounds like a great book to read with a toddler, and I love the cover!