Tuesday 6 May 2008

The Classics Challenge 2008


Oh yeah, another challenge! But to be honest I haven't joined too many and I was actually looking forward to something like this, to give me an excuse to read all those classics that are calling me from the shelves of bookshops and libraries (yes, because I don't already own them, but they are urging me to read them so badly) so here we are. Thanks to Trish we now have a Classics Challenge!
The rules are as follow:



* OPTION 1: Read FIVE classics.

* OPTION 2: Read FIVE classics from at least THREE different countries

* OPTION 3: Read FIVE classics with any combination of at least THREE different countries and TWO different genres (see above for genres).

* Cross-posting with other challenges is allowed (and encouraged!); Audiobooks are fine; books must be finished after July 1st to count for the challenge although re-reads are acceptable.

* Lists don't have to be set in stone; you can change your selections at any time.

* Have Fun. Oh ya...there will be a drawing for a prize or two. To be entered you must complete any one of the above options. You do NOT need a blog to participate.


I will be opting for the first choice. Read 5 classics, full stop.I already have a list with more than 5 titles, but as usual I'll write them down and then choose when the challenge actually starts in July...Plenty of time! Actually too much time, I wanna read them now! But I suppose they will make perfect summer reads so the wait will be worth it.

What I want to read:

- The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett











- The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum










- The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain











The Handmaid's Tail by Margaret Atwood















Those above must be read with those covers and no other. I know, it's shallow, but what can I do.
Then I also might read:
- The Borrowers by Mary Norton
- Mary Poppins by P.L. Travers
- 1984 by George Orwell
- A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'engle
- Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
I still have to look around to decide which cover I prefer for these...

9 comments:

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

Yay! One of the downsides to doing the bonus round for the 6th book is that I haven't seen any lists yet. Looks like you've got some great picks so far and I'm thrilled that you're thinking about The Handmaid's Tale for the "will be" bonus book! So glad you're joining!

Josette said...

Great list of books! Have fun with the challenge! =D

Ana S. said...

I love your list, and I'm glad I won't be the only one picking lots of children's classics for this challenge.

valentina said...

Trish,you know, I found The Handmaid's Tale featured in the Rough Guide to classics novel, so I think it might already qualify as a classics!:)

josette, thanks! hope you have fun too!

nymeth, I knew I wouldn't be the only one:P

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

:) This is exactly why I didn't offer a definition of classics on the blog! My coworker and I have been discussing it a lot and can't come up with a clear definition--to me a book needs to be a little older--something that will stand the test of time or something like that (Beloved by Morrison published in 87 is also considered a classic, but it just doesn't seem old enough to me). She mentioned that she was going to suggest Steinbeck as a future classic, but to me he already is. I give up! ;D

Kim said...

I plan on joining this one, but haven't put together my list. I just cracked up about you needing those books to have those specific covers, because I am the same way and I thought I was the only one with this 'problem'!! :)
*smiles*
Kim
(page after page)

valentina said...

trish I think you're right, I wouldn't keep the Handmaid's Tale or Beloved in the classics section in the shop...but I will definitely read the Handmaid's tale for the challenge as my bonus book!

kim, aha ah! that's good I'm not alone...
you know, sometimes I do that with music too:P

Library Mice said...

The new Puffin covers are great. I am looking forward to "Anne of Green Gables" as Lauren Child did the cover (I think it is out in August)

valentina said...

library mice, they really are, I love them. Although I've seen a beautiful edition of the Wizard of Oz illustrated by Wayne Anderson (see my posts about him!) and now I'm not so sure anymore.

Lauren Child and Alice in Wonderland sounds like a great combinations, I loved her version of Pippi Longstocking so I'm looking forward to it too.