Wednesday 20 May 2009

Nerds heart YA book tournament - It's coming!

After weeks of heated discussions and of tough decision-making, we now have .....Ta Daaaa...
THE SHORT LIST!

Stop Me If You've Heard This One Before by David Yoo
The Latent Powers of Dylan Fontaine by April Lurie
My Most Excellent Year by Steve Kluger
Alive and Well in Prague, New York by Daphne Grab
I Know It's Over by C.K. Kelly Martin
The Last Exit to Normal by Michael Harmon
Pretty Monsters by Kelly Link
The Screwed Up Life of Charlie the Second by Drew Ferguson
The Shape of Water by Anne Spollen
What They Always Tell Us by Martin Wilson
The City in the Lake by Rachel Neumeier
Cracked Up To Be by Courtney Summers
Debbie Harry Sings In French by Meagan Brothers
Feathered by Laura Kasischke
Leftovers by Laura Wiess
The Opposite of Invisible by Liz Gallagher

All YA titles published in 2008, all not very well known and deserving of more TLC.
The first round kicks off June 1st and ends June 22nd. By then the first reviews with the first round selections should be up on each of the judges blogs.
This is the bracket graph:

It was all designed by Renay. I think it's awesome!
I'm a judge and I'm in excellent company, look at that:
Jodie, Book Gazing
Natasha, Maw Books Blog
Ali, Worducopia and Lenore, Presenting Lenore
Mary Ann, Libr*fiti
Trish, Hey Lady! Whatcha Readin' and Vasilly, 1330v
Kelly, YAnnabe
Becky, Becky's Book Reviews, and Kailana, The Written World
Heather, A High and Hidden Place
Amy, My Friend Amy
Laza, Gimme More Books!
Stephanie, Stephanie's Confessions of a Book-a-Holic
Nicole, Linus's Blanket
Renay, YA Fabulous and Susan, She's Too Fond Of Books And It's Turned Her Brain
Chris, Stuff As Dreams Are Made On and Nymeth, Things Mean A Lot

So the fate has decided I'm going to judge The Opposite of Invisible and My Most Excellent Year. I've never done anything like this before, I'm very excited and a wee bit nervous. I want to be fair and unbiased so I hope I won't be bashed by fans of either book hihi :P

Apparently anyone can follow the YA nerdy developments on this Twitter account, but I haven't ventured into the twitter world yet (me sort of suspicious, don't know why), so I'm not really sure how it's all going to work.
Anyway, I hope anyone else is as excited as I am!

5 comments:

Amanda said...

This looks like a lot of fun. I hadn't heard this was going on. I'll be on the lookout for the posts. :)

Renay said...

You can also follow our Twitter account via RSS, if you don't use Twitter yourself. There's a feed link on the sidebar. :)

Thanks for posting about the tournament!

Ana S. said...

I'm very excited, and the suspense about which two books Chris and I will read is gonna kill me!

PS: Don't be scared of Twitter! Tis fun!

valentina said...

Amanda, I'm glad I reached a new person! can't wait to start reading and judging:D

Renay, no probs! thanks for telling about the feed, so I don't have to join twitter (YET!)

Nymeth, hmmm dunno about Twitter yet, I want to resist just a little bit more. I'm already a recognised Internet addict, I don't need something else to keep me glue to the screen!

Peanut Butter Cookie Recipes said...

This was great to read, thanks