Friday 4 March 2011

Quick update about stuff: crafty market, trip to London, etc...

Hiya!
I meant to write this ages ago, but I never got around it, of course...
A while ago I managed to participate in my first crafty market, selling what I've been making in the last few months, so I thought I'd share.
I was really proud of it, even though it was tiny, in a badly lit corner, and I didn't make much of a profit. But I got the support of my wonderful friends and lots and lots of praises from random people, so I was quite happy with the experience. Next time I'll try and team up with someone else to share the costs, or just got to a cheaper market.
I love having a stall. It's what I've grown up with. My parents were jewellery makers and all-around artists back in the 80's. When they weren't in their shop they would be selling their products at fairs and such and I'd be sleeping beneath their stalls during those hot Italian summers, or running around during the day wearing tiny rings still too big for my fingers. I kept loosing them and coming back for more.
After my parents split up and sold the shop, my mother kept doing markets and I'd stay with her sometimes. I remember making earrings with her with just some bits of metal and some permanent markers to decorate them. I must have been 10 or 11. I was so proud of myself when I sold my first pair!
Today my mum still runs a successful stall, where she sells crystals and handmade jewellery, so it really runs in the family :)

Here is how my first solo stall looked like (click the photos to see the details):

This is from the front

and this is from the back


I thought it looked pretty:)

So, that was the old news. The new news is that I'm just back from a week in London. I went to see my brother who lives there, and to see "Season's Greetings", a play which starred Katherine Parkinson, from the IT Crowd. The play was brilliant, although I lost a bit of concentration on the main action when Katherine Parkinson was on the side of the stage doing nothing. I could't help but stare:P I was in the front row, and it was amazing. After the play I waited for her to come outside, and I managed to meet her and get a photo with her. I know most of you don't know who she is, so probably you can't share my excitement, but I was absolutely over the moon. Especially cause she was so lovely. She asked me if I was Irish! I'm quite pleased with that. And when I told her I was Italian she said she lived in Italy for a bit, but I can't remember much of that, cause I was too excited. I took a photo with her and three other girls and I really hope I didn't mess it up cause my hand was shaking like a mad thing!
Here's me with her:

Isn't she just gorgeous?
Oh yeah. The other bit of news is that I dyed my hair purple! It's not exactly the colour in the photo. It's lighter, and it's already starting to fade, but I love it! I'm gonna get a proper haircut soon, this is just messy, overgrown hair with no shape. But I love the colour:) It took ages to get it right. It turns out my hair doesn't give up its brown colour that easily. But in the end we managed. Now I feel like I could experiment with lots of other colours. Blue, pink, red...

So yeah, that's it for now. I'm not gonna promise a post soon, cause it's probably not gonna happen, but you never know. I'm almost finished with Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman, and wouldn't you know it, I adore it! So I'll probably share my thoughts on that one. Can't say when tough:P

6 comments:

Memory said...

Congrats on your first solo stall--and on your purple hair! They both look great.

chrisa511 said...

I'm in love with your hair, Val :D And congrats on the stand at the art show!! So awesome :) It all looks fantastic!

Jodie said...

So much awesome! I love the IT crowd and omg your hair! That's one of those shades I'd love to try, but can't take because I'm so pale. Your jars are so pretty. I want to know what did the bottles used to be, sauce bottles?

valentina said...

thank you memory and chris!
Jodie, yes, the jars were sauce jars, the bottles I think were beer or some other kind of booze, and the smaller ones are kikkoman soy sauce bottles, my favorite :)

Jill said...

Your stall is gorgeous! I wish I could have stopped by. Great job!

Oh, and purple is my favorite color. :-)

mariel said...

The stall looks great! Wishing you success on many many more like it! xx