Sunday 6 January 2008

Reading Trouble Meme

Back at the end of November Lisa at Books on the brain tagged me for this fun meme, and I've let it waiting far too long, so here it is!

1. Have you ever gotten into trouble for reading?

Not really in trouble, but in secondary school I used to read my own books during classes. Not all the time, just when it was getting boring or the teacher was particularly annoying. So I would sit in the last row and hide my novel behind the school book. I've done this regularly during English classes at 16/17, as a protest against our teacher who was one of the most obnoxious person I had the displeasure to meet. It was a sort of boycott against her teaching. Fortunately I was pretty good at English so I didn't need to listen to her much. Whenever she tried to check if I was actually listening I had my answers ready so no trouble there. I wish I could say I missed classes because I was reading in the bathroom and got caught, or something like that, but I didn't.
If trouble is lack of social life because I liked books more than hanging out with people my age, than yes! I got into a LOT of trouble:P

2. Has reading ever SAVED you from getting into trouble?


Again my mind goes back to the good(?) old school times...I remember I got away with a lot of non studying because I read a lot of non-requested books. That helped when confronted with questions in tests about things you were supposed to know from school books. Of course that was only for literary subjects. I miserably failed almost all my scientific tests, so no help there. Arts teachers usually loved me because I I was "the one that reads books", even if I didn't do all the homeworks all the time. So I guess that saved me from getting into trouble more than once.

What was the first book you read that you KNEW you would get into trouble reading if caught?


I don't know if I would have got into trouble for reading it, because my family is very liberal, but I felt like I had to hide anytime I sneakily read a page or two from a book called "Everything you wanted to know about sex but never dared to ask" or something like that. It was there, in the library, with the rest of the books, not particularly hidden, but I knew I didn't WANT to be caught reading it because it would have been too embarassing! I was 12 or 13.
I could think of a lot of movies or tv programmes that I wasn't supposed to watch (like the soap "The Bold and the Beautiful" ahhh I was so addicted at 13 and my dad kept forbidding me to watch it,I thought it was so unfair. Now I kind of agree with him) but it's harder with books.

I'm not sure if I'm supposed to tag someone so I'll leave it to anyone who wants to join in. Feel free to answer the meme and leave a link to it:)

1 comment:

Ana S. said...

"If trouble is lack of social life because I liked books more than hanging out with people my age, than yes! I got into a LOT of trouble:P "

Yup, same here...story of my life :P

My family is fairly liberal too, so I never actually got in trouble for reading, but I remember that, at age 13, I was in bed for a week with tonsillitis, and during that time I read Dracula. Whenever one of my parents walked into my room, I'd hide it under the covers, because I was afraid that they'd take it away from me if they caught me reading it :P