Friday 5 September 2014

Random update about stuff

So here I am again. Bringing this blog back from the dead once again. For some reason I can’t bring myself to abandon it completely, though I’m not sure there’s anyone left to read it by now.

My blogging life has been overtaken quite unapologetically by Tumblr for at least 4 years now, but there’s still some space, every now and then, for random updates and over-excited reviews about the things I’ve been reading, right?
Thing is, for a long while now, I haven’t had anything to add to my “books I’ve read” list. NOTHING. Not one single book in, like, months - could be even a whole year . And yet I have been reading. Not as voraciously and anxiously as I once did, but I have.

Fanfiction happened. Or more accurately, shipping happened. A shit load of it. Real shipping, not the light-hearted giddiness at two people I moderately love finally getting together that I often experienced before, with no serious consequences to my emotional health. No, this was painful, heart-wrenching, insane NEED for these two fictional people to be happy and together and forever because they’re my babies and they deserve it dammit. 




So last year I somehow found myself reading Stargate SG-1 fics like there was no tomorrow. Not before having acquired a kindle though, thanks to my lovely internet wifey, because how do people even read stuff on computer screens, I will never understand it. I even wrote a couple myself. But mostly I read, because the amount of brilliant stuff people have come up with over the years about these two idiots is astounding.
So, you see, I could hardly add Yet Another Fanfic By This Amazing Writer on my “read list”. Or, I suppose I could have, but I didn’t think anyone cared.

And then I discovered another passion, this time for National Geographic and for all things science. Black holes! Interstellar gas clouds! Giant squids! Mysterious Latin American tombs! Endangered, bizarre-looking birds that only exist in some protected areas of the north-east coast of New Zealand!
I can’t get enough of that shit.
So again, I left those ones out of the big list.

But now I’m back on the literature train, I think. I’m on my way to finishing The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay and I’m loving it and I will be raving about it quite profusely when I’m done with it. I hope. Don’t let me down Michael.

And I have a huge list of TBR stuff, because lists are cool even if you never stick to them. Next is totally gonna be the latest Sarah Waters BECAUSE LESBIANS! Yay! (I missed them too, Sarah)

                                     
So, I'll see you soon, blog.


2 comments:

raidergirl3 said...

The beauty of Google Reader (or whatever new feed reader you found) is that updates will just appear. I keep a folder called 'rare, but hopeful' blogs.
good to hear from you !

valentina said...

Aaaww "rare, but hopeful" :)
Thanks for still checking in.