Sunday 13 January 2008

"What's in a name?" Challenge


Ever since I saw this challenge I wanted to join, so here I am. Annie had the idea and now she even has a blog for it, with lots of Mr Linkys to post our reviews in the right places. Rules and conditions are here.
I had some problems finding a book with a plant in its title. Do fruit qualify as plants? If they don't I'll try and think of something else, but I'm trying to use only books that I already have, which is not easy! Anyway,this is what I came up with:

COLOUR
THE BLUE GIRL BY CHARLES DE LINT
I'm reading it now and I also included it in the Young Adult challenge. I'm absolutely loving it, I think it's safe to say I'm already a Charles de Lint fan! Sometimes it's good to judge a book by its cover :)

ANIMAL
I WAS A RAT! BY PHILIP PULLMAN
My secret Santa present!

NAME
PADDY CLARKE AH AH AH! BY RODDY DOYLE
I've no idea why I haven't read this yet,given that I'm such a fan of Roddy Doyle's writing, but each book has its own and right time to be read, and I think its time has come now. It will also qualify for the Booker Prize project, for which, so far, I've only read one!!! shame...

PLACE
HOMAGE TO CATALONIA BY GEORGE ORWELL
I've started this and then I left it unfinished. But I've always meant to go back to it because I really want to know more about the spanish civil war from someone who was actually there. I've loved the film by Ken Loach, "Land and Freedom", which was inspired by this book, so I think I should like this. Maybe the right time has come for it as well.


WEATHER EVENT

ROLL OF THUNDER, HEAR MY CRY BY MILDRED TAYLOR
I'm only using this because it was the only book that I own, with a weather event in the title! It's not a book that I've been wanting to read, I got it for free, but maybe it will surprise me.

PLANT
JAMES AND THE GIANT PEACH BY ROALD DAHL
You can't go wrong with Roald Dahl. Well, at least if I can get away with a giant peach been counted as a plant. Which it is. Right?

4 comments:

Ana S. said...

Wonderful list! You really can't go wrong with Roald Dahl, and I think I need not comment on I was a Rat :P I have Paddy Clarke to read this year too, and I plan on reading Charles de Lint as well. Happy reading!

Debi said...

Welcome to the challenge! I'm so glad you decided to join. I'm planning on reading The Blue Girl and I Was a Rat! soon, too. I hope you have fun with the challenge!

--Annie

valentina said...

that's great!I think you will both enjoy The Blue Girl, if you like fairies, and fantasy fiction. i think it might well be one of the best reads of this year for me.

can't wait to post my reviews, thanks for having me, Annie!

raidergirl3 said...

I'm going to read Terra Cotta Dog by Camilleri for my animal book. I see you have it in Italian on your sidebar. Cool.